An Arab diplomat visiting the U.S. for the first time was being wined and dined by the State Department. The Grand Emir was unused to the salt in American Foods (french fries, cheeses, etc.), and was constantly sending his manservant Abdul to fetch him a glass of water. Time and time again Abdul would scamper off and return with a glass of water, but then came the time when he returned empty-handed.
Abdul, you son of an ugly camel, where is my water? demanded the Grand Emir.
A thousand pardons, O Illustrious One, stammered the wretched Abdul.
There is a white man sitting on the well.
- cheese – queijo
- come (come, came, came) – vir, chegar
- demand – exigir
- empty handed – de mãos vazias
- fetch – buscar
- first time – primeira vez
- food – comida
- french fries – batatas fritas
- glass of water – copo de água
- salt – sal
- send (send, sent, sent) – enviar
- stammer – gaguejar
- thousand – mil
- unused to – desacostumado
- wretched – pobre, miserável