An American visiting England walked into a hotel lobby.
“The lift will be down presently”, the receptionist told him.
“The lift?” said the American. “Oh, you mean the elevator”.
“No, I mean the lift”, replied the Englishman.
“I think I should know what it is called”, said the American. Elevators were invented in the States.
“Perhaps, retorted the Englishman. But we invented the language.”
- be down – chegar(vindo de cima)
- elevator – elevador (EUA)
- language – a língua, o idioma
- lift – elevador (Inglaterra)
- presently – em breve
- reply – responder
- retort – replicar
- should know – deveria saber
- think (think, thought, thought) – pensar
- walk – andar
- you mean – você quer dizer