A business executive visits his Chinese friend in the hospital. “Li kai yang qi guan,” says the sick man feebly. The executive desperately wants to help him, but he doesn’t speak Mandarin. “Li kai yang qi guan!” says the patient, as he draws his last breath.
Later that year, the executive is in Shanghai on business when he finally learns the meaning of “Li kai yang qi guan“: “Get off my oxygen tube.”
- feebly – debilmente
- Get off my oxygen tube – Saia do meu tubo de oxigênio
- last breath – último suspiro
- last words – últimas palavras
- learn (learn, learnt, learnt) – aprender, conhecer, saber
- speak (speak, spoke, spoken) – falar