A YOUNG FAWN once said to his Mother, “You are larger than a dog, and swifter, and more used to running, and you have your horns as a defense; why, then, O Mother! do the hounds frighten you so? She smiled, and said:
“I know full well, my son, that all you say is true. I have the advantages you mention, but when I hear even the bark of a single dog I feel ready to faint, and fly away as fast as I can.
No arguments will give courage to the coward.
- say – dizer
- mother – mãe
- swifter – ágil, veloz
- used to running – acostumada a correr
- horn – chifre
- hounds – cães de caça, sabujos
- frighten – assustar
- hear (heard, heard, heard) – ouvir
- bark – latido
- feel (feel, felt, felt) – sentir
- faint – desmaiar
- fly away – fugir rápido (voar)
- fawn – cervo