Once I worked as an operator on an old IBM 370/Model 138 mainframe at a local college. My position had been reclassified to fall into a new area outside of the I/S staff.
One day, my new supervisor entered the room and stared at the air conditioning unit directly behind me. He studied the two flashing lights for a few moments and asked what job it was currently processing.
I killed my career by replying, “Actually, sir, it’s cooling the room. The computer is over there.”
- old – velho
- mainframe – computador de grande porte
- stare – olhar com atenção, com olhos bem abertos, encarar
- air conditioning unit – unidade de ar condicionado
- behind – atrás
- flashing lights – luzes piscantes
- kill – matar
- career – carreira
- reply – responder
- cooling the room – resfriando a sala