A not-too-bright candidate for the police force failed in the written examination. Since he was the Chief’s nephew, the examiner decided to go easy on him with the oral test.
“Who shot Abraham Lincoln?”, asked the examiner.
The candidate pondered for a moment and then asked if he could have sometime to come up with the answer. The examiner told him to come back the next morning.
When the would-be recruit went home, his wife asked, “Well, how did it go? Did you get the job?”.
“I think so,” he replied. “They have already got me working on a case”.
- ask – perguntar
- come back – voltar
- Did you get the job? – Você conseguiu o emprego?
- fail – falhar, reprovar
- go easy on him – facilitar as coisas
- go (go, went, gone) – ir
- I think so – Acho que sim
- nephew – sobrinho
- next morning – manhã seguinte
- not-too-bright – não muito brilhante, de inteligência limitada
- ponder – pensar
- since – desde que, como
- sometime – algum tempo
- tell (tell, told, told) – dizer
- to come up with the answer – para chegar a uma resposta
- Who shot Abraham Lincoln? – Quem atirou em Abraham Lincoln?
- wife – esposa
- working on a case – trabalhando em um caso
- written examination – exame escrito